Q: Do I have to be Scottish to join?

No. Members of the unit are Canadian citizens of all ancestries and backgrounds.


Q: What is the Army Reserve?

The Army Reserve is the part-time component of the Canadian Army. Most Army reservists work part time in the Army and full time in their civilian jobs or they are students. For more information, visit


Q: What is the Infantry?

Infantry Soldiers are the Army’s primary combat fighters and are responsible for closing with and destroying the enemy. They are the core members of the Combat Arms team, which includes Artillery and Armoured Soldiers. 

Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment – Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert – and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations.


Q:  What is the Role of the Army Reserve?

The combat-capable, multipurpose Army Reserve units are designed to augment the Regular Force in the following duties: · defending Canadian territory and helping to maintain Canada's sovereignty by providing land surveillance and combat-ready forces · contributing to the collective defence of North America · providing armed and unarmed assistance to civil authorities when needed to maintain public order and security or to assist in emergency relief · supporting Canadian interests abroad, a task that may include providing forces for UN, NATO, and other multilateral contingency operations, peacekeeping, and humanitarian assistance.


Q: What are the benefits of joining the Army Reserve?

You will receive: Competitive salaries, starting at about $100 per day, with increases based on rank, occupation and experience.  Guaranteed summer employment.  Post-Secondary tuition assistance is available. Exciting work. Pension.  Leadership training and development.  Medical and dental coverage, and access to a dental plan for you and your dependants after six months of service. Uniforms and equipment.  A variety of job opportunities.  Recognition for your civilian job skills · Opportunities for advancement.  Accommodations and meals are provided free of charge when on training or missions.  If you are still in high school you will also receive 4 high school credits for completing basic training.

Q:  What are the basic joining requirements?

You must: 
- be at least 16 years of age with parental / guardian consent for minors;
- have successfully completed Grade 10; for officer applicants there are additional academic prerequisites;
- be a Canadian citizen;
- have a good record of conduct and no outstanding legal obligations;
- meet the interview, medical and fitness enrolment standards; and 
- pass the aptitude test


Q:  I am not a Canadian Citizen, can I still join?

To join the Army you must be a Canadian citizen. If you have a permanent resident status, you may be eligible for employment under certain conditions. For more information visit the Canadian Forces recruiting website: www.forces.ca, email a recruiter at jobs@recruiting.forces.gc.ca or call the recruiting hotline 1-800-856-8488.


Q:  Will I be sent overseas to fight?

As a reservist, you will not be sent overseas without your consent. Reservists have opportunities to deploy locally or abroad, including overseas, to augment the regular force in various operations.


Q: How can I sign up to go overseas?

If you want to serve overseas, you must be fully trained, meaning, have your three required courses (BMQ, BIQ Mod1 and 2) completed. You must be at least 18 years old, keen, motivated, dedicated, loyal, eager, hardworking and an asset to a team. If your chain of command agrees with your request, you must complete and pass a series of interviews, medial and fitness tests, psychological evaluations, etc. to assess your suitability for such a commitment. Then you will be sent on your 6 month work up training during which you still may not pass all the courses and tests, thus not allowing you to go overseas.


Q:  What is work up training and what does it entail?

If you want to serve overseas, you must attend a six-month work up training with the Regular Force. Here you will take unique courses and specialized training tailored for that given mission. If you pass all that then you may go on your six-month tour of duty overseas. It is a lengthy and vigorous process that requires you to be away from your family and friends for at least a year.


Q:  How fit should I be?

It is essential that you are reasonably fit and free of serious injuries and medical problems. Prior to joining, concentrate on cardiovascular work such as running and circuit training. Check out the Fitness Videos found in the Videos section of this site for the minimum fitness standard to get in. The better your level of fitness is, the more successful you will be in completing your training and the more effective you will be as a member of the CAF.


Q:  Can I wear jewelry?

You can only wear a plain engagement and or wedding ring. Women may wear one pair of plain stud earrings, if desired. Other forms of visible body piercings are not permitted to be worn while in uniform. You may wear a wrist watch of modest design.


Q:  Do I have to cut my hair and how short will it have to be?

Yes, you will have to cut your hair short as appearance is important in the Canadian Army. Both men and women must adhere to certain hair guidelines. Men must wear their hair short and neat. Women can wear their hair in varying styles so long as it does not preclude the proper wearing of military headdress. Long hair must be worn in a braid. Some exceptions to hair standards apply to certain religious and aboriginal groups.


Q: Can I keep my tattoos or get more later?

Tattoos must not be visible from the neck up outside the uniform; however tattoos on arms especially when the sleeves are rolled up are okay. The tattoos cannot be pornographic, racist, blasphemous or that would otherwise reflect discredit on the CAF.  If you have some that do not meet these criteria you must have them removed or covered over with another more appropriate tattoo. Visible and non-visible body piercing adornments, with the exception of women's earrings shall not be worn by members either in uniform or on duty in civilian clothing.


Q: What are the first two basic training courses?

BMQ and BIQ are the first two military courses you will have to complete as an infantry reservist. BMQ takes place full time in the summer and lasts for 4 consecutive weeks; BMQ may also be completed part time over weekends. Both of the above options mainly take place in Nanaimo, BC. BIQ Mod 1 takes place full time and lasts for 4 consecutive weeks. BIQ Mod 2 takes place full time and lasts for 4 consecutive weeks as well. Both BIQ Mod 1 and 2 generally take place in Wainwright, AB.


Q:  How long can I stay in the Army Reserve?

There is no minimum time commitment as a Reservist; you can choose to leave at any time. Your duration of service will depend on you. You may stay in until you are 60. Many people enjoy lifelong careers in the Army Reserve. For information on pensions, check out the Reserve Force Pay and Benefits page found on this site.


Q:  Can you change trades once you are enrolled in the Infantry?

It is possible to change trades once enrolled in the Infantry, especially when you move to a town with no infantry reserve unit. Some trades, such as the Intelligence Officer and Intelligence Operator classifications, can only be entered by changing trades after several years in the military - you cannot enrol directly into these trades. Programs also exist for Non-Commissioned Members to transfer to the Officer Corps. Candidates must apply and be found suitable for such training programs.


Q:  How strict is the discipline?

We live by the words "One Army, One Team" - and a team is only as good as the discipline of its members. We are a good team because we insist that every member lives up to a high standard of personal conduct. Therefore, discipline is strict, especially at first when you are not used to it. However, as you gain experience and knowledge you will appreciate the rules and regulations, and will enjoy the pride of serving your country while possessing and enhancing your self-discipline, self-confidence, team work abilities and leadership skills.


Q:  What are the opportunities to travel?

Your courses may take place away from home so you will travel to other parts of Canada. This is all funded by the military, so there is no cost to you. Once you have completed your initial three training courses, you may have the opportunity to work overseas, on an exercise or as part of an operational mission here at home. Travel is an exciting part of the job as you will most likely get the chance to meet soldiers from across Canada, other nation's armies and travel to unique international destinations.


Q: What is the Tuition Reimbursement and how does it work?

If you have been in for over 3 months, and are now enrolled in and attending full time at an accredited post-secondary institution of your choice, you are eligible to be reimbursed on 50% of your tuition at the end of each year completed for up to 4 years. You must register yourself into the program in Sept of each year with your unit clerks to ensure that there is money in the budget for your share. Once you completed the year, you must send in your letter of completion, marks and all your receipts for books and other items purchased for the program. Then in the summer you will get reimbursed 50% of your expenses for up to $2000 per year for 4 years.


Q:  As an Army Reservist how often do I have to work?

Typically you work one night a week for three hours and one weekend a month. Once trained, you will have opportunities to work full time in the summer. Other employment opportunities, domestically and overseas, also become available as you advance with experience and rank. For more information talk to your recruiter.


Q:  If I meet the basic entry requirments, what do I do next?

Your next steps are to: make an appointment with unit recruiter closest to you.

You can reach them by email at : esqcscotrrecruiting@forces.gc.ca , or by phone at:

Victoria : 250-363-8153

Nanaimo: 250-755-5368

Comox Valley: 250-339-4515


Q:  How can I find more information about a veteran, such as a family member?

There are several resources where you can find information about veterans, depending on what sort of information you need and in what era the person served. Canadian Military Heritage Project Web Site at www.rootsweb.com. Canadian Post War Military & Dependant Graves Web Site at: www.admieapp.forces.gc.ca. The Royal Canadian Legion site at: www.legion.ca. The Veterans Affairs Canada site at: www.vac-acc.gc.ca.  The Directorate of History and Heritage site at: www.forces.gc.ca.  The National Archives of Canada site at: www.collectionscanada.ca. First World War or later personnel records at: www.genealogy.gc.ca. Visit the Canadian Virtual War Memorial site at: www.virtualmemorial.gc.cathis site contains a registry of information about the graves and memorials of more than 116,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders who served valiantly and gave their lives for their country. Included on this site are the memorials of more than 100 soldiers who died in service to Canada since the Korean War, including peacekeeping and other operations. More than 100,000 Canadians who died in the First World War and Second World War are buried overseas in Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries. Useful information might be found in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Web site at: www.cwgc.org. The Lost Trails section 'helps to locate veterans, military personnel, RCMP and their families'. The address is Legion Magazine, 407 359 Kent St., Ottawa, ON K2P 0R6; fax (613) 233 7159; email magazine@legion.ca, Web site www.legionmagazine.com.

Q: How can I find information about new technologies used in the Canadian military?

Defence R&D Canada (DRDC) is an agency of the Canadian Department of National Defence responding to the scientific and technological needs of the Canadian Forces. Its mission is to ensure that the CF remains scientifically and operationally relevant. The agency is made up of six research centres across Canada. Visit www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca or contact info@drdc-rddc.gc.ca.

Q:  Can I participate in competitive sports while in the Army?

The Army values physical fitness and encourages participation in competitive sports. Many opportunities are available to compete in local, national and even international military sports competitions. The Army will try to accommodate the training schedules of elite athletes serving in the military. Such arrangements are made on a case-by-case basis after an individual has completed basic and occupational training.

Q:  Where can I find more information about support for military families?

You can use this web site and go under components/regiment/serving soldiers and families for more information or contact the Mission Information Line: 1-800-866-4546, duty Chaplains and the MFRC's, CFPSA and Army websites, the Member Assistance Program, etc.

 Q:  What access do recruits have to families?

If you are taking weekend courses then you will be away from Friday night to Sunday night. If you undergo your recruit courses in the summer, time is allocated to ensure you are able to remain in contact with family and friends.


Q:  How can I contact a Recruiter?


You can reach them by email at : esqcscotrrecruiting@forces.gc.ca


The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary’s)
Bay Street Armoury 715 Bay Street
Victoria, British Columbia
V8T 1R1

 Victoria : 250-363-8153 



B Company, The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's)
Brigadier D.R. Sargent Armoury, 709 Nanaimo Lakes Road
Nanaimo, British Columbia
V9R 7B1

Nanaimo: 250-755-5368



Five Platoon B Company, The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's)
2000 Waveland Road
Courtenay, British Columbia
V9J 1X4

Comox Valley: 250-339-4515


Q:   Where can I get information about joining the Regular Force?

Visit the Canadian Forces recruiting website at: www.forces.ca, email a recruiter at: jobs@recruiting.forces.gc.ca or call the recruiting hotline 1-800-856-8488.


Version 5.3
Site Map | Login | Powered By: Techweavers Inc.